Pages

Friday, 27 July 2007

For the Birds, Part 4 - Ditched

Just this year, along about January or February, I was sitting on the bus, staring lonesomely out the wind, as I always do. As we came up to a stop, I was looking out, and I looked into the snow-filled ditch.

There were two birds sitting in that ditch on top of the snow. At first I thought this was very cute, but when I looked again, I realized that no, it wasn't. One of the birds was not sitting but lying in the snow. Certainly not normal. The bird was dead.

The other bird was sitting beside it, staring at it, hopping around frantically. Just as the bus was starting to pull away, the still-living bird looked up at the bus, it looked right at me. I have never before or after seen such a sorrowful expression on any face, human, bird, or otherwise. The poor bird looked absolutely heart-broken. I had to fight the urge to cry myself.

Somehow this is a memory that will always stick with me, an image I cannot remove from my mind.

No comments: