Pages

Friday, 21 March 2008

Space and Research Paper

Today: Figuring out my research proposal and watching hours of the Space channel. Simultaneously. Woooo.

We watched the end of The Day After Tomorrow, dad is currently watching the Stargate movie, after that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy comes on, followed by Independence Day. So, that should more or less occupy me until about 9 p.m.

As for the research proposal, I've got a few ideas. I re-read old essay questions last night and came up with 7 sort of basic ideas that I could pursue. I did some re-reading of texts this morning and eliminated 2 (Gods=Parents=Gods in Ancient Egyptian texts, The Bible, and Freud; and Creation Myths (Egyptian, Akkadian Creation Epic, and Genesis)). I also found 2 that are at the moment the top contenders: Forms of companionship in The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Waste Land (and possibly Genesis); and the need to be remembered after death in The disupte between a man and his ba, The Epic of Gilgamesh, The Divine Comedy, and The Diaries of Kaethe Kollowitz.

The other 3, which are not eliminated, but not my top choices, are:

-The relationship between music and narrative in Bizet's Carmen
-The use of exoticism/the relationship to non-Europeans, in Las Casas, Montaigne, Carmen, and Montesquieu's Lettres Persanes.
-"The French Republic is invincible, like reason; it is immortal, like truth." (Robespierre) The French Republic was overthrown because it was neither reasonable nor truthful, and thus not invincible or immortal.

I would enjoy writing on either of the first two; at the moment I am leaning towards the companionship one. I'm not sure how feasible either of those two are, though, because they both involve comparisons between the most ancient stuff and the most modern stuff, and I have a vague feeling that those sorts of comparisons are disapproved of. I don't know, I figure the least I can do is submit it, if it gets approved, awesome, if not, at least I've got some fallbacks.

I've also managed to write about half of one of those posts I've been meaning to get to, so I can hopefully have that up by tonight or tomorrow. I figure if I work on them for about half an hour a day when I can, I'll have them all up in the next week or two, as well as a few other "life update" sort of posts like this one.

Now, off to find some secondary sources...

No comments: