Pages

Friday, 16 May 2008

A Fragment of Life.

I finally got a job offer today! Wooo. Working as a "Student Accounting Clerk" at the local High Liner Foods fish plant. Which is terrifying, because it's working in Accounting and Logistics, and my experience with either of those is exactly zero. But they assured me at the interview that they didn't expect anyone to be able to do all this stuff, and that there would be training. So I guess I'll be okay. Anyway, learning new stuff should be interesting, even if it will probably be rather stressful at first. Also, it pays well, like, several dollars an hour more than I ever expected to get from somewhere around here. And the hours are good, and it's conveniently located so that I can carpool with mom almost every day. It's kind of funny, actually, because when we were brainstorming places that I could apply to, my parents suggested the fish plant, but said "you probably won't hear anything from them, because they usually only hire students if they have family that work there, but it can't hurt to put a resume in." Evidently, it didn't.


----------


A couple of days ago I read Stardust by Neil Gaiman. The first time in a very long time that I read a non-FYP book all in one sitting. It was very, very good. Exactly the kind of story that I'm a sucker for. So now, of course, I have to add "everything Neil Gaiman has ever written" to my already extensive list of things to read. I also noticed the other day that my mom has several books out from the library that I really want to read (The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and Memoirs of a Geisha). So I'll have to scam some of those over the next couple of days. At the moment, I'm reading Tales from the Dark Tower, although I haven't touched it in two days, and I'm not sure I'm going to. I picked it up at the library because by all appearances, it claimed to be a collection of horror/fantasy short stories. So I read the first one. Which was a vampire story. I'm not really into vampires, unless they're of the Anne Rice variety, so I was less than impressed. Especially because it was also terribly written and completely uninteresting and disbelievable (Yeah, yeah, vampires are disbelievable, but I mean, there was the bit where the man and woman fell madly in love and wanted to be together forever after knowing each other for a few hours. And the bit where they had sex, even though he was recovering from terrible wounds and he wasn't even allowed to stand up in case he made them worse. And, again, with these wounds, the next morning he puts on his armour and rides off to the 'Dark Tower' to fight whatever evil forces happen to be lurking there. Yup, totally believable.). Anyway. I thought the next one might be better, so I started reading. And realized, that by "collection of short stories" it really meant "a book where the chapters are written by different people." I keep telling myself that it will get better, but I haven't convinced myself to start reading again. I might quit and read some of those interesting-sounding books mentioned above. Which goes to show how bad it is, because the last time I gave up on a book was in grade three (It was something about a girl, and her mother died, and there was a chair that her mother always sat in. I read the first chapter and decided that it was too depressing).

----------

Yesterday I watched The Blair Witch Project. Because I remember how much I wanted to see it when I was in, like, grade seven, so I decided that yesterday was going to be the day that I finally saw it. Yup, that was a total waste of time. It was mostly a movie about three kids who got lost in the woods and yelled at each other a bunch. I'm pretty sure the scariest scene was the one where the girl was just shrieking "Fuck you" at one of the guys over and over again. All-in-all, pretty lame. It did remind me, though, that I've never actually seen a really good horror movie. I somehow find the idea of being absolutely terrified very exciting. It's probably one of those silly things that comes with being human and belonging to our society. So I've decided that just once, I would like to see a movie that actually scares me. This is the part where, if I had anything resembling a readership, I would ask for suggestions, but instead, I'll go ask the internet. I'm sure google will have an answer for me.

----------

I spent a few hours last night and this morning reading Wikipedia articles. Because I totally have a life, really. Anyway. I realized they had a "Famous Animals" category. And after reading a bunch of those, I discovered the "Carnivorous Cryptids" category, so of course I just had to read all of those. And eventually, I got to the "Sideshow Performers" category, and read all of those too. And that's not counting the occassional sidetrack. So, umm... I've never told anyone this, but my life dream is to be a 19th century circus director. Yes, I realize how unattainable that is (Seriously, though, if I get my hands on a time machine, you'd better look out...). I don't know, I've just always been fascinated by the idea of circuses and carnivals and things... and yeah, I mean sure, the lion tamers and the trapezists and the sword swallors and what-have-you are pretty impressive, but really? The really neat part would be the sideshows, with the freaks and mysterious animals and objects, even those ones were generally hoaxes. I mean, if you didn't know that, it would be TOTALLY cool! I would love to be able to bring all of this fascination and mystery to people... (And yes, I realize how completely politically incorrect it is for me to say that I want to be a circus director and put disabled people on display as freaks. It's not like I would do it now, just, you know, in the 19th century, that was actually a pretty good option for them). But at any rate, I don't think that's going to happen. Which means I need a new life dream. Maybe I should write biographies of circus freaks, or something.

----------

I just finished compiling a playlist of summery music. Oh my gosh, it is massive. Like, in the area of 150 songs. I suspect that will go down in time though, as I decide that I'm sick of hearing this song, and that one isn't actually all that summery, or whatever. I was surprised by how big it was, I just wanted a playlist that felt appropriate for the time of year (do other people have 'summer' music and 'winter' music? Or am I just weird? ...I bet google doesn't have an answer for that one), and when I started putting things on it, all of a sudden everything reminded me of summer. Very strange. Anyway. For those who care, 'summer music,' for me, apparently consists of such artists as:

ABBA
All-American Rejects
The Ataris
B*witched
The Beatles
Billy Joel
The Broomhandles
Cake
Counting Crows
Culture Club
Fall Out Boy
Five Iron Frenzy
Franz Ferdinand
George Michael
Goldfinger
Grease Soundtrack
Haddaway
Jack Johnson
Joel Plaskett Emergency
The KGB
KT Tunstall
Less Than Jake*
Millencollin
Modest Mouse
Natasha Bedingfield
Newton
No Doubt
Panic! at the Disco*
Reel Big Fish*
Rufus Wainwright
Seals and Croft
Shakira
Shiny Toy Guns
Skankin' Pickle
Skye Sweetnam
Smoosh
Spice Girls*
Spitvalve
Streetlight Manifesto*
t.A.T.u*
Tegan and Sara
Tommy Tutone
Toto
The Trews*
U2
Utada Hikaru
Van Morrison
Vanessa Carlton
Chumbawamba
Aqua

*These artists contribute 5 or (sometimes significantly) more songs to the list.

No comments: