Pages

Wednesday, 25 June 2008

Fairy Day (For Reals, This Time)

Fairy Day. The holiday that I discovered two days before it happened. It was founded by Jessica Galbreth, a fairy artist. In her own words,


This holiday is for everyone who believes in the magic of fairytales. It is for
those imaginative souls who dare to dream impossible dreams. It is for the
children of the world, wide eyed and open to the magic that surrounds them. It
is for adults too, who long to capture a bit of that magic they remember from
their own childhood.

And, as her fellow artist, Jacqueline Collen-Tarrolly, goes on to explain,

Fairy Day is a time for all of us, fairy kissed or no, to honor and delight in the fanciful, the mystical, the ethereal in our lives. Throughout man’s history, Midsummers Day has been known as a time to revel in the magic of nature. It is one of the few "in between" times, when the veil is drawn thinnest and crossing between the worlds is at it’s easiest. This day, the longest of the year is known for odd things happening to unwitting mortals, victims of the fairies playful games. It is at this time that fairies may be seen, dancing round rings, or that mortals with the desire and a pure heart may meet a fae out walking in the woods.


Fairies have always held sort of a special place in my heart. I can remember watching Fairy Tale: A True Story as a young girl. It's a lovely movie, (loosely) based on the true story of the Cottingley fairies. It caught at my heart and my imagination, and remains one of my favourite movies to this day, despite having only seen it a few times. I especially love the movie's tagline: "Believe." Simple, but perfect - one of my favourite messages to the world. Just believe.

About a year ago, at a friend's party, the four of us who were there decided to go out on a fiary hunt. This mostly consisted of dressing up in colourful, flowing pieces of fabric, putting on fanciful make-up, and heading out into the woods with our fairy nets. Now, this activity may have stemmed from it being a lovely evening and us being somewhat tipsy and feeling adventurous, but there was no doubt in my mind that we had about as good a chance of cathcing a fairy that night as we did catching a butterfly. It was just a matter of looking.

Now, I'm sure some of you out there are asking "How could you possibly believe in fairies?" My response to that is "How could you possibly NOT believe in fairies?" I challenge anyone to try and prove otherwise. I can guarantee you can't do it. It seem clear to me, that there is nothing more logical than the existence of fairies. Can you imagine a world where there were, absolutely, postively, completely and totally proven, without doubt, NO FAIRIES WHATWOEVER? No. See. So they must exist. They must.

So, here's my (slightly belated) bit of Fairy Day celebration. I'm considering building a "fairy altar" in my res room next year. I'm already thinking of things that I have or could easily acquire which will work well in it.

Also, while I'm at it, anyone who would like a good fairy read should be sure to check out The Faery Reel: Tales From the Twilight Realm. I read it about a year ago, and loved it incredibly much. It's a collection of short stories but some excellent authors, such as Neil Gaiman, and one of my absolute favourite authors, Patricia A. McKillip (Although as I recall, her story in this particular collection was less than stellar, her other stuff is really good. Seriously, check is out, she's amazing! Winter Rose, Song for the Basilisk, and The Tower at Stony Wood are the ones I've read. They're all excellent, go read them now!)

Yay, fairies!

No comments: