Pages

Wednesday, 17 September 2008

"Seigneurs, vous plaît-il d'entendre un beau conte d'amour et de mort? C'est de Tristan et d'Iseut la reine. Éecoutez comment à grand'joie, à grand deuil il s'aimèrent, puis en moururent un même jour, lui par elle, elle par lui."(Le Roman de Tristan et Iseut)

French is so beautiful. Also, French music? Yup, in love with it. And French lit? Yup, love that too. Le Roman de Tristan et Iseut? Yeah, very much in love with that. And seriously wishing I could write a whole essay on it instead of a sutpid forty word paragraph. Seriously, forty words? Gah. I would actually LOVE to write an essay on this book. Frig.

Anyway. I don't have anything much to say for myself, so I am bombarding you with quotations and song lyrics. Sometime in the next week or so I will probably start getting some real posts up, now that life is starting to calm down a bit.

"Iseut est reine est semble vivre en joie. Iseut est reine et vit en tristesse." (Le Roman de Tristan et Iseut)

From The Essays: A Selection, Michel de Montaigne:

"I study myself more than any other subject. That is my metaphysics; that is my physics."

"You are not dying because you are ill: you are dying because you are alive."

"When I dance, I dance. When I sleep, I sleep; and when I am strolling alone through a beautiful orchard, although part of the time my thoughts are occupied by other things, for part of the time too I bring them back to the walk, to the orchard, to the delight in being alone there, and to me."

"A fine thing to get up on stilts: for even on stilts we must ever walk with our legs! And upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still upon our arses."

Song lyrics from The Weepies:

What can I compare you to, when everything looks like you?
(Take it From Me)

No amount of coffee, no amount of crying
No amount of whiskey, no amount of wine
No no no no no, nothing else will do
I've gotta have you, I've gotta have you
(Gotta Have You)

I know that you think you're not good for anything
The world makes you feel so small
(Citywide Rodeo)

Are your friends really your friends?
Are you still waiting for the end of the day?
...
Riga girls go like this
Make me wish I was someone else
Oh, Riga girls, are you sad?
Oh, I wish I had someone
...
It takes so little charm to keep you hanging on
But it's a facade like the sky, like the moon, like your eyes
...
Does your heart echo like a hall
'Cause there's no one there at all?
(Riga Girls)

Every day it starts again
You cannot say if you're happy
You keep trying to be
Try harder, maybe this is not your year.

Movies, TV screens reflect just what you expected
There's a world of shiny people somewhere else
Out there following their bliss
Living easy, getting kissed
While you wonder what else you're doing wrong
(Not Your Year)

You look darkly on the day
With memories to light your way
A little sad but it's all right
We are always living in twilight

No one knocks upon your door
Until you don't care anymore
A little alone but it's all right
We are always living in twilight
(Living in Twilight)

Seriously, go listen to The Weepies, because they are amazing. <3.

And some Tori Amos to end this off:

If you love enough, you'll lie a lot
Guess they did in Camelot
(Jackie's Strength)

And this has been another edition of random things that have been going through my head recently. Enjoy.

No comments: