Pages

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Happiness: A Warm Puppy?

I often complain about how everyone seems to be so unhappy. I mean, I don't expect everyone to be happy all the time. Bad things happen. People have shitty days. You can't always be happy. Sometimes you're sad. I understand that. It's life.

But so many people are so unhappy all the time. And often for not very good reasons. And always for the same reasons. And they never do anything about it, they just carry on being unhappy. That's what I've never understood.

Then, a few days ago, I had kind of a shitty day, and so did one of my best friends. And when I was trying to figure out how to explain our "down-ness" I accidentally came up with a (pretty solid, in my opinion) theory as to why other people are so unhappy.

It's so much easier to be unhappy. If you're willing to accept unhappy as being good enough for you, then you can just take whatever comes your way. You don't have to try to make the shitty things better. You don't have to make tough choices about what the best thing would actually be. You don't have to push yourself, every day, to do the right thing, to make a change in your life, to do the things that are best for you. It's so easy to just sit back and watch life go by.

I hate that people are willing to live with that. I mean, I know I was one of them up until quite recently, but really? That's such a shitty way to live! Happiness is worth the effort. It really is. I just wish more people could see that.

One of the main things that I'm looking forward to next year is having two of my best friends around me all the time. Because life is so much easier when you've got a little help. "No man is an island." No one can make it on their own. You need a helping hand to pick you up when you fall, or a hug to fix that broken heart, or a gentle finger to wipe away those tears.

That's one of the main things that I've realized in my recent period of reflection/introspection/change in state of mind. No one can do life on their own, and it's pointless to try. I used to hate being dependent on people. I was afraid they would walk away and I would lose my balance without them... like that time two friends hoisted me on their shoulders between them, and then one stepped out from underneath me. I was afraid of falling. But you know what? I'm pretty tough. I can fall from shoulder height, and I can get back up. And you know what? Most of the time, there's someone else there to help support my weight. So it's okay. It's okay to need people. Sometimes they'll let you fall, sometimes they won't. When they do, things will be okay.

That's part of the reason I want to get back into blogging. I want to share. I want to reach out, I want to touch people, I want to make connections. No one can do this on their own. We all need help, we all need company, we all need a coach, a cheering section, a mentor, a teacher, a friend. We all need a warm puppy to help us find happiness.

Do you need someone? I'm here. I love you. I need you too. And that's okay. As long as you're happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KATIE! This has got to be, by far the best post you have ever made. It's so incredibly true. I liked the whole "I can fall from shoulder height, and I can get back up." You're so insightful.

gnomesque said...

Haha, thanks! :)