Pages

Thursday, 2 July 2009

Adventures in Egg-Poaching, the Working World, and Canadian History

So, yesterday morning I decided that I wanted a poached egg. Of course, I had no clue how to go about poaching an egg. So, I went on the internet and figured it out. Or so I had thought. It didn't turn out quite perfectly. So I tried again last night. Turned out a little better, but still not great. I went back to the internet to see what my problem was. As it turns out, my problem was that other people are weird. All of the instructions that came up were to make a "perfect poached egg." I figured a perfect one was what I wanted, you know, none of those low-quality poached eggs for me. Apparently, a "perfect poached egg" has a runny yolk. My mother's poached eggs do not have runny yolks, and neither do the ones at Smitty's, and neither do the ones at Cora's. Cooked yolks are where it's at. So, armed with this new knowledge, I intend to go home tonight and poach myself an egg which is actually perfect.

"Go home?" you ask, "but where are you now? Surely you're not" - and here you gasp loudly - "blogging at work? At your new job that you've been at for less than two weeks and haven't even actually mentioned on your blog before???" The answer, I'm afraid, is yes. I'm working as an office assistant for CESO (Canadian Executive Services Organization). It's a really wonderful organization and I love what they do and I'm glad to be a part of it and I can't wait until I"m retired so I can volunteer for them. And I love the people I work with. But, well... it's been a little slow so far. There are only three other employees in the office. One of them only started two weeks before me, so he's still trying to get himself organized. He and one of the others were away on business all last week. He's back this week, but the other is now on vacation. The third, who's been in the office all along, can barely find enough to do to keep herself busy, let alone me. I very literally have nothing to do this afternoon, so I'm blogging.

One thing I have done since starting work here is learning. And getting upset about what I've learnt. I've watched 4 or 5 documentary videos about Canadian Aboriginals. Holy moly, they were upsetting. Upsetting in a disturbing way, but also in that they made me feel really angry. The first few were about the residential school system. The extent of my previous knowledge on this subject was that it happened, and it was bad. I suspect that is all that most white youth know about the matter. It was really shocking to find out what actually happened. It elicited the response of "this happened in Canada?!" That's just not how we see our country. Oh, right, because our country doesn't teach us about the bad parts of its past. This should be in the high school curriculum, I really think it should. It's important to be aware of these sorts of things because they still have a huge effect on our country today. Did you know that the last residential school didn't close until 199SIX? And that's without the fact that there's a domino effect where the negative effects on the survivors of the residential schools get passed on to their children and grand-children and great-grandchildren. And then there were a few documentaries on the Labrador Innu. Also very, very upsetting. It's hard to believe that there are entire communities that live that way in our country in this day and age. In Sheshatshiu, a community of ~1000 people, there is one suicide per month. They just have nothing to live for... It's really, really awful. And then there are all the little facts, like that it takes ten years to settle a single land claim. Or that the government department dedicated to helping, supporting, and raising awareness about the Aboriginal people is actually called Indian and Northern Affairs. I find that disgusting.

Next week I get to go to Eskasoni, which is one of the largest First Nations Bands in the Atlantic Provinces. There's a workshop being put on there, and it's one of the largest they've ever done, so we're going up to take pictures and help the volunteers running the workshop to get set up and stuff like that. Honestly, most of the time will be spent in the car, but I think it will be a good trip nonetheless. For one thing, I'll get to see first hand what CESO really does. Plus I'll be out of the office and actually have something to do for a few days. Not to mention that I can't even remember the last time I went somewhere that wasn't either Halifax or the South Shore. So I'm looking forward to that quite a bit.

I actually have a whole ton more to say, but I've already written way more than I had intended, so I think I'll leave it there for now. More soon, much love!

No comments: