Pages

Monday, 9 November 2009

My problem.

So here it is. My problem with blogging. It's not that I don't have ideas. It' not that I don't have things to talk about. It's (usually) not that I can't find the right words to express them. Nope.

The problem is, all of my ideas are too interrelated. When I start thinking about what to write, my thoughts on education pass through a rant about politics to end up at a discussion of religion. And maybe that's not such a bad thing; but if I wrote everything I wanted to say about all of that, I would be churning out blog posts 12 pages long!

As frustrating as that can be when it comes to blogging, in other areas of life I'm really glad that's how things work. I love it when things I learn in math relate to things I learned in Foundation Year, and when what we talk about in French Lit is just like that other thing we talked about last week in my Canadian Studies class. I think that's the best.

My grade 10 history teacher (coincidentally my favourite teacher ever) had murals covering the walls of his classroom - Napoleon and Marie-Antoinette, to name a few. The door, however, was the best of all. It was was divided off by thick black lines into smaller sections of random shape and size. These sections were painted in all different colours. Over top of this was painted a tree, spreading its branches through these different sections. At the top was the title "Consilience."

Consilience is the idea that all areas of knowledge are interrelated, and dependent on one another. They're not separated out into these different blocks of knowledge where you can know everything about one subject with absolutely no knowledge of the others. It just doesn't work that way. Everything, everything is connected in some way or another.

This would be an ideal springboard to jump into some of my thoughts on education, but I think I'll leave it at this for now, and try to separate education into an independent post for another day.

No comments: