Pages

Monday, 28 December 2009

Best of 2009: Movie

So you may have noticed that I haven't done any of the Best of 2009s lately. To be honest, the list kind of fizzled out after a while - I mean, stationery of the year? Really? I understand that it's difficult to come up with something for every day. I'm sure I couldn't come up with a good list of 31 things to reflect upon over the past year. But stationery? Really? I was astonished, however, to find that 'movie' was omitted from the list. This one seems like a no-brainer to me. So I'm going to post about it anyway, because hey, this is my blog, and I don't have to follow someone else's list.

I have two best movies this year: one is the best new movie of 2009, the other is the best new-to-me movie of 2009.


Best new movie of 2009: Up

I saw this delightful animated picture with a couple friends to celebrate one of their birthdays. It was a humourous and adorable watch, and the story was absolutely wonderful. It was such a happy movie. The message really struck a chord with me: life is an adventure, and we ought to celebrate it as such.


Best new-to-movie of 2009: Harold and Maude

My roommate in first year recommended this 1971 film to me, but I never got around to seeing it until this summer. I am very glad that I did watch it, and I think that I appreciated it far more now than I would have two years ago. Another movie reminding me to really live and to enjoy life. Also, the soundtrack is exquisite: 9 wonderful tracks by Cat Stevens, a few of which really resonated with me, most particularly "Don't Be Shy" (imagine that!).


I would recommend either of these movies to anyone. They are both excellent, and well worth the time to watch them.

No comments: