Pages

Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Law School? Law School?!

I have accomplished one more goal off of my 101 in 1001 list: #3 Talk to an advisor at Dal Law School. I had a meeting yesterday with the Director of Admissions and Career Development.

Things I learned:

Getting in is not as hard as I had previously expected. Actually it sounds like I could get in pretty much no problem, unless I were to do very badly on the LSAT.

There are totally a ton of career options outside of being a lawyer lawyer at a law firm. Which is cool, because I don't want to be a lawyer lawyer at a law firm. There are even a lot of options in public interest and social justice areas. Except, they're really competitive and you generally have to do unpaid internships for a while and it helps if you move to places like Toronto and Ottawa and Washington and I really like Nova Scotia.

I'm still unconvinced about this whole law school thing. Especially since it feels like I mentioned it once or twice and before I could blink I've practically applied already. I still don't know what I want to do. I think law school would be interesting. I think a law-related career would be interesting for a little while. I'm not convinced I would be happy with it for the rest of my life. I'm not convinced I would be happy with anything for the rest of my life.

Growing up is hard. Making decisions is hard. I don't like this.

But at least now I have more of the information I need in order to make a decision. Which is a good first step.

Also my dad has told me my entire life that he could see me going into lawyer and I never ever agreed with him and now it's pretty much happening and I kind of feel like I have to just because it would make my parents happy. Which makes me not want to do it just so that I can make my own decisions. Which makes it difficult to figure out whether or not I actually do or do not want to do this. Agh.

3 comments:

Loud said...

I was going to go on a miserably accusative rant, but I caught myself before it was too late. What I really meant to say was "hey, don't knock Ottawa before you've tried it". It's pretty(as long as you know where to avert your eyes) and ok we have a terrible municipal government and the drivers aren't as nice. We DO have stores that are open after 9pm. We have a pretty sweet assortment of available foods (I guess the diplomatic corps get homesick?) and the museums are pretty top-notch.

I'm not saying you'd want to live there your whole life (I love the place more than most people I know, and *I* don't think I'd want to) but give poor, maligned Ottawa a chance.

gnomesque said...

Sorry friend, I did not mean to give the impression I was attacking your city. To be fair, of the three I listed, I would probably prefer Ottawa over Toronto or Washington.

Someday I will travel. Someday I will visit Ottawa. Someday I will know it as more than the big city I went to when I was 7. I am sure it will be a good experience.

My problem is not with Ottawa, or Toronto or Washington for that matter, but with cities in general. I'm not crazy about the idea of spending the rest of my life in Halifax, let alone someplace actually big.

I grew up in a house with a vegetable garden, a pumpkin patch, 3 flower gardens, multiple climbable trees, an "under-the-tree" house, large yards, hay fields on every side, a forest on one side, and two ponds at the edge of the forest. The ocean was a five minute walk away. The people next door had horses and just up the road was a dairy farm. You had to drive half an hour to get to the largest town in the south half of the province, which still has a population of less than 8000.

I am not a city person. I miss seeing the stars, I miss beaches, I miss hearing the birds sing, and seeing crocuses in the spring and growing our own pumpkins in the fall, and climbing my maple tree and having a massive pile of leaves to jump into, and going for walks in the woods and being able to go skating on my own property and looking out the window to see deer and pheasants and... surely you get the point by now.

The point is, I'm sure Ottawa is lovely. I will go there. I have nothing against it. But I do not want to live in a city. And I don't think I could do a public interest law career in the countryside of Nova Scotia. And life is complicated.

Loud said...

It might not be quite so impossible, you know. One of my high school teachers related the story of his optometrist (I think) friend, who could basically hit his annual salary cap in five or six months of work. He'd do a couple weeks of volunteer service thereafter, and then he'd be free for the rest of the year.

I think my dad also knows a guy who figured out exactly how much he needed to work to support his lifestyle, and took essentially the rest of his time off.

I have no idea how flexible public-interest law work is, but if you're lucky enough (and know which corners to cut) you could probably spend a reasonable fraction of your time out in the country while keeping an in-city apartment or something for when you have to go back to work

I'm sorry for getting so upset about the Ottawa thing. It's my home, y'know?