Pages

Saturday, 13 February 2010

Updates on 101 in 1001 and life in general

101 in 1001:

#30: Cook 10 new dishes. I brought my total here up to 3 by making tomato chickpea pasta. It's a slow cooker recipe found in one of the Company's Coming cookbooks. It turned out quite well I thought, especially given my recipe substitutions - I'm pretty sure when they said "non-alcoholic wine" they probably meant actually cooking wine and not the de-alcoholized sparkling rose wine that my non-drinker roommate bought for New Year's Eve. It still worked, though, so there you go.

#37: Go to 5 plays. Last weekend was the King's Fringe Festival, so I went to see 2 blocks of plays, which varied from the very good to the very funny to the very (very very) bad. Technically I saw well over enough plays to fulfill the requirements of this one, but since they were all quite short, I'm going to count each block as one play and say I'm at 2 out of 5.

#89: Participate in a trivia night. Completed! Last Saturday the Computer Science Society held a trivia night. Since I'm friends with a bunch of Comp Sci majors, one of whom is the president of that society, my roommate and I were invited along. It was a lot more difficult than I had expected. Definitely way too much current events for me to do particularly well, but we had fun nonetheless. We did come in second, only one point back, in one round - the books round.

So speaking of the books round. One question was "who is the best-selling children's author of all time?" They specified that it was not JK Rowling because not all of her books are considered children's literature. So my team spent a while debating between Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter. Since the last question was about Dr. Seuss, we decided to go with Beatrix Potter. At the end of the round they went over the answers. The correct response to this one? R.L. Stine. This disgusts me. According to wikipedia and my mental math, he has written somewhere in the area of 450 books, mostly in the past 20 or 25 years. That is well over a book a month. There is no way those books are well-written. And given that they are nearly all in the children/teen horror genre, I'm sure that at this point he's basically telling the same stories over and over and over again with slight changes. It just makes me so sad that this drivel is what the minds of our future generations are being nourished with. Also, he looks creepy.

In other news, hey look! The French Department has a blog for student work. Hey look! One of the first posts is something of mine! Woohoo!

No comments: