Pages

Thursday, 4 March 2010

Finding a voice

When I was a kid, I thought it would be easy to be a writer. What could possibly be simpler than telling stories and letting your imagination run wild?

The more I grow up, the harder it seems to come. Now I feel as though you can't just tell a story; you have to say something, and you have to say it in your own special way. To write, you need to know which stories you want to tell, and how you're going to tell them.

I think this is at least part of the reason why I've been so blocked for so (soooooo) long. I need to get these things sorted out first. I think I'm starting to get an idea of which stories to tell.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the other part, though. I'm just not sure how I should go about saying things. I'm not sure which angle I'm coming from. I don't know how to say things and have them sound good but still sound like me.

I need to find my voice. Funny to think that I'm a stranger to myself.

No comments: