Pages

Sunday, 30 May 2010

Recipe for a perfect day

Yesterday was a perfect beautiful wonderful day.

I got up in the morning and went to market. At 8:30 it was already warm enough to be outside in just a skirt and a t shirt. The sky was blue blue blue and there wasn't a cloud to be seen anywhere. I got there just at the mid-morning lull between the intense early morning market crowd and the late morning sleepyhead market crowd. I know a lot of people who like to be there with the crowd and see all the people, but I prefer it when it's quieter - when I can just drift around aimlessly and look and smell and touch without being trampled, or feeling like I'm in the way if I stop to look at something, or getting pushed along in the flow of the crowd without being able to see what I want to. I passed on my usual market tradition of having a crêpe for breakfast, instead opting for a soft pretzel. I also bought flowers just because they were pretty and I like pretty things.

When I had wandered to my heart's content, I meandered my way up to Cabin Coffee. Downtown was busy in a quiet sort of way. There were lots of people out, and parked cars lining the streets, but everyone was walking or biking or just sitting on benches. A nice kind of morning-y quiet busy.

Cabin Coffee was busy, but wonderful. They make some of the best baked goods; I think the chocolate chip muffin I had yesterday was possibly the most delicious one I've ever eaten, no joke. I also had an iced chai latte, which is basically a mug full of joy. I occupied one of their big comfy armchairs for well over an hour, just nibbling and sipping and appreciating. The people watching was particularly good. I think I could easily become a regular there. Perhaps it will be my thesis-writing haunt next year. Sitting at the back, only being able to see sunlight, sky, and the tips of a few trees through the window, combined with the decor, I could almost believe I actually was in a cabin on a mountainside.

I eventually finished my food, finished emptying my mind into the pages of my journal, and got antsy to be back out in the sunshine, so I moved along back home. After a few minutes conversation with roomie J, I went out to the cement pad at the back of our house and ate cherries and read until I got too hot and had to come inside. I sprawled on the couch and talked and laughed with both the roomies until we all went off to our separate things. I laid on my bed and read until I fell asleep, which is one of my absolute favourite things. Shortly after I woke up, we went out to get a propane cylinder for our new barbecue. Roomie J and I also got lemonade while we were out - I have been craving lemonade every sunny day for the past two weeks, so finally having it was an especially good treat - and it was really good lemonade (although it would have to be, at the price we paid for it).

Then we came home and prepared burgers and potatoes and mixed up a salad and sat outside on the cement and barbecued and ate and drank and listened to music and enjoyed the sun and the breeze and the beautiful day. Roomie C went out to watch the game while roomie J and I putzed around inside.

It was a wonderful perfect beautiful day. It was a day filled with little pleasures, but like all of the simple pleasures I could possibly want.

Today was good too. I wrote a practice LSAT in the morning, which was less than stellar, but not bad. I ventured out into the rain briefly because I wanted chai tea and didn't have any - but then also ended up with a box of chocolate mint oolong, and two bars of dark chocolate. I spent the afternoon curled up on the couch with a blanket and a book and a mug of tea and mellow music. Then my parents came in and we went out to supper, and when I got back I realized that I could smell our neighbours' lilacs from our yard (lilacs are the happiest smell of life).

Now it is time for bed. Goodnight. :)

No comments: