Pages

Friday, 21 May 2010

Working Adventures

Okay, so, this is my job. The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (TIR) has a division called Acquisitions and Disposals, which buys land from people so they can put in highways and stuff. They used to send a copy of all the deeds and maps and things to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). But now the Public Records Centre (PRC) is like "screw you guys, we're not keeping two copies of everything." So there are duplicates of every deed that has ever been signed with TIR. But sometimes they kept the original and sent DNR a duplicate, and other times the kept the duplicate and sent DNR the original, so they can't just get rid of all of one set.

So my job, along with another student, is to go through all of their files and make sure that TIR keeps the originals, and send the duplicates back to the PRC for destruction.

Basically, the PRC sends us boxes of files from DNR. Each box has a list of all the files that are in it. We take that list, and go to TIR's file room and get the matching files. Then we sift through the masses of memos and letters and other correspondence and junk filling the TIR files to find the deeds/maps, compare them to the documents from DNR, put the original in the TIR file and the duplicate in the DNR file. Then we take the TIR files back to the file room. We put the DNR files back in the box. We send the boxes back to the PRC be DESTRUCTIFIED. Rinse and repeat. And repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat.

It has been two weeks, and I already want to kill myself from boredom.

Fortunately, since there are 70 000 files in total and they're pretty sure that two students working full time for 16 weeks won't be able to get through all of them anyway, we get to take a break in the middle to clean out a storage room in the basement and get all of the maps in there ready to be scanned, or something like that. So at least there's that to look forward to. Whoop-dee-doo.

I still haven't decided how I feel about the other girl I work with. To be honest, at first I was a little offended that a first year SMU student was hired to do the same job as me. Now, I'm just offended that they hired anyone smarter than a trained monkey to do this job. Seriously though, I don't know about her. A couple times a day, one of us tries to make conversation, but it never seems to get farther than a few sentences. I guess she's nice enough though. Doesn't even communicate much about what she's doing workwise, though, like ordering more boxes and things like that, which actually affect me. Argh.

Also she listens to The Bounce. All day. Every day. I like Lady Gaga, really I do, but I would actually be okay with only hearing "Telephone" and "Bad Romance" once or maybe twice a day each, rather than five times a day each. Not to mention Timbaland feat. Katie Perry's wretched "If We Ever Meet Again." If the boredom doesn't drive me to suicide, that song sure will.

It's not all bad though. I mean, it pays well, and it's close, and I like the hours, and they're pretty good about time off and stuff, and the people are nice, and there's a free gym in the basement, and getting a foot in the door for government work is never a bad thing. Just, those things, as good as they are, never seem quite as important when I'm ready to gouge my eyes out just to be doing something different.

1 comment:

Mitchell said...

Sharing classified highway deeds with the People's Republic of China? That's treason, katieconrad.