Pages

Monday, 14 June 2010

All Shall Be Well

A few weeks back I read a book entitled All Shall be Well; and All Shall be Well; and All Manner of Things Shall be Well by Tod Wodika. It tells the story of one Bert Hecker, who is attempting to reconcile his two grown children with himself following the death of his wife. It was a pretty good read, although it had an unresolved ending, which always drives me nuts.

Bert Hecker is a medieval re-enactor. Much of the book revolves around him losing himself in this distant past to the point that he can neither come to terms with his own past, nor engage with the present.

All that aside, though. Historical re-enactments are pretty much the coolest thing ever. I've always wanted to go to a Renaissance Fair or something. Also there was that movie out a few years ago, Role Models, where the guys LARPed. I probably wouldn't have liked anything about that movie if it weren't for the LARPing.

Point is: I think re-enactments/LARP is really cool. I would like to. But not really seriously intensely with rules and shit. I mostly just want to put on costumes and act like a different person in a different world. So I wish there existed such a group in Halifax, but alas, there does not seem to. I briefly half-considered starting one up as a King's society, but I so do not have the guts to try to start a group for something I know nothing about.

No comments: