Pages

Sunday, 4 July 2010

An Enormous Week, Part III: Royalty and Family

Wednesday morning was going better than usual at work; I got to head down to the Central Registry to pick up our next order of boxes, which means a) I got 15 solid minutes free from the room/the work, and b) I got to talk to the people down at the CR, who I actually like. When I got back upstairs, though, co-worker informed me that someone had come around when I was gone to let everyone know that we were allowed to go see the queen when she was leaving.

For the record, I am neither particularly pro- or anti-monarchist. We're a constitutional monarchy, that's just the way it is. It is perhaps superfluous but not inherently bad. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Anyway. Personally, I was excited to see her not so much because she's the queen, but moreso because she's Queen Elizabeth II. She is such an icon; she wears the best hats, she is classy and elegant, she smiles and laughs in public all the time always, and she has managed to avoid media scandal (for personal reasons at least, she can't help the flak she gets just for being queen). So I was pretty glad I got a chance to see her, even if it was just for a minute as she walked from Government House to the car to go the airport, but she smiled and waved and she was wearing an awesome hat.

Around noon my dad called and said he came downtown for a meeting which got cancelled at the last minute, so we went out for lunch. It was a beautiful summertime patio lunch, and delicious. And I have seen/talked to my parents probably not enough lately. So it was lovely.

In the evening, Roomie J and I went to see the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo. A friend of mine is volunteering and as a thank you they gave out free tickets to the preview show, but he couldn't use them since he was working backstage at the time of the preview show, so he kindly gave the tickets to us. It was an excellent show! I've seen it two other years, and it is brilliant every time. The show consists of marching bands, military drills acrobatics, highland dancing, singing, fireman competitions and much more. The music is amazing, the showmanship is impressive, and hey, lots of men in uniform doesn't hurt either. We had a fabulous time. At the end of the show they always open the floor to the public to interact with the performers, so we went down, told a few people they were great, and received sweet pins from some RCMP guys.

No comments: