Pages

Wednesday, 11 August 2010

I'm not ready for weddings yet.

This has been the summer when people started getting married.

There have been a few people from my high school graduating class tie the knot in the last couple of months, but no one I knew well. This weekend one of my best friends from high school is getting married, and it is seriously weird.

I'm not sure why the wedding is striking me so much when they've been engaged for years and I've known this was coming for ages. But I just can't get over the fact that he's getting married. Maybe it's because I'm averse to change. Maybe because when it's someone I know and love rather than someone I barely knew, it really makes me realize that we're the same age and holy shit there's no way we've reached marriageable age yet. Maybe the fact we used to date is playing into this somehow. Maybe it's because marriage means babies could happen soon and there's no way the world is ready for mini versions of him running around. I don't know.

Just, he's getting married, and it's weird.

I was invited to the reception, but won't be there since it's out of town. So yesterday I signed a wedding card, wrote a cheque for a gift, put it in an envelope, and mailed it off to them. That was the single most grown-up thing I have ever had to do.

It made me want to throw up.

1 comment:

BrightenedBoy said...

The last two paragraphs made me love you.

I feel the exact same way. I'm 22 and can't imagine being in a longterm relationship with someone, let alone getting married to them.