Pages

Sunday, 10 October 2010

Fall Lovin'

I love fall. I love everything about fall. I love the smell of the air. I love the colours. I love the temperature. I love the sound of crunchy leaves. I love thanksgiving with all its deliciousness and family time. I love pumpkins. I love scarecrows. I love Halloween and all the costumes, movies, candy, decorations, and stories that go with it. I love sweater weather. I love pretty fall scarves. I love when it starts to get chilly enough to go back to drinking hot chocolate and tea instead of lemonade. I love love love this season. It is the best one, hands down, no contest.

But yet, as much as I love fall, there's something about it that gets me excited for winter (which is only my third favourite season). I was making pumpkin pie yesterday, and even though pumpkin pie is one of my absolute favourite foods, as I added the ginger and cinnamon and cloves, I couldn't help but get excited for gingerbread (which I don't even like all that much). I love being home for thanksgiving, but being here means access to my keyboard, and I couldn't resist starting to practise up my Christmas carols. The other day, I was thinking about what I should do for Halloween this year, and the idea of a Halloween party just ended up getting me excited for Christmas parties. Every time I have a mug of hot chocolate or tea, it makes me wish for apple cider (even though I like hot chocolate best).

Sometimes I feel like it's a shame that being distracted by Christmas so much takes away from my enjoyment of fall for itself. Other times I wonder if maybe on top of all the things I love about fall, I like it all the more because it foreshadows Christmas.

2 comments:

Loud said...

Fall is also my favourite season. Shuffling my feet through piles of leaves, driving out of the city to pick apples (I wish I could still do this, but I have no car), apple cider (hot and cold)....

best season ever.

gnomesque said...

Yayyy fall!

I've been wanting for four years now to take a fall trip down valley way for apple picking/corn mazes/hay rides/zoo because yay fall, but the lack of car does make it awfully difficult.