Pages

Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Inspiration

A few years ago, I went to a writing workshop held for students writing plays for my school's Fringe Festival. The woman who ran the workshop challenged us all to go home and find five rocks. We were supposed to come up with characters for all the rocks, and then make up a story that tied them all together.

I went out into the parking lot behind my res and found five rocks that were all different. I went back to my room and made a character brainstorm for each rock and then figured out how they would all connect together. I started writing the story, although I never did finish it.

I just recently remembered that this happened. It's good to be reminded, sometimes, that when you look for inspiration, you can find it anywhere. If you sit around waiting for it to show up, you'll never get it. I need to go looking.

No comments: