Pages

Sunday, 12 December 2010

11 Things

What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

I like this prompt.

1. Indecision.
I need to learn to make choices. I will eliminate this by listening to my gut. It will change my life by allowing me to be more spontaneous, and less stressed about everything.

2. Fear.
I don't really have a plan to eliminate this one. I don't think I can eliminate it. I can make it more manageable, though. I need to just do things I'm scared of and let myself see that they're really not so bad. I think the key to this one is going to be starting small. This will change my life in more ways than I can probably even imagine. Not to be crippled by fear of change, of social situations, of being wrong... it would make my life better in a million different ways.

3. Procrastination.
In the past week or so I've been using mytomatoes.com to help myself deal with this one, and it's been fairly effective. I'll continue to do that, and be on the lookout for other ways to tackle it. Cutting procrastination out of my life will free up more time to do meaningful things.

4. Laziness.
My life requires more physical activity. Getting rid of procrastination should also help with this one. Also, I'm considering signing up for some sort of fitness class at the university gym next semester, which would basically obligate me to do it. More exercise = more energy + more endorphins + better sleep, which are all things that will make life happier.

5. Loneliness.
I will fix this by not being a hermit any more. I will not turn down offers to go do things with friends unless homework is really actually urgent. I will actually invite people to do things instead of always waiting to be invited. This will change my life by making it happier.

6. Perfectionism.
I am not perfect. I will never be perfect. The good news is that no one (aside from myself) expects me to be perfect. I can get away with lowering my standards to at least slightly lower than perfection. This will save me a lot of worry.

7. Not asking for help/refusing offers of help.
See explanation to number 6 and add that sometimes I just can't do everything alone, no matter how much I might want to. It's okay to ask people for small amounts of help sometimes. I need to learn how to open my mouth and say the words.

8. Self-doubt.
I may not be perfect, but I am capable. I just need to convince myself of that on a regular basis.

9. Staying up too late.
In any context other than "staying up to hang out with friends," it just isn't worth how miserable I feel the next day. I might have to set an alarm to remind myself to go to bed.

10. Complaining.
"If you complain nothing happens; you might as well not bother." Monty Python, as always, tells the truth. Complaining is a useless practice primarily intended to draw pity or out-do someone else with how bad your life is, which is a stupid competition. It needs to end.

11. Clutter.
My desk is getting out of hand. As are my dresser, my closet, and my floor, come to think of it. Yeesh. I need to clean my room thoroughly more frequently than once every four months. Decluttering my physical space tends to help me declutter mentally and emotionally, so this will hopefully help me even beyond not tripping over a stack of books every time I go in an out of my room.

2 comments:

Bob D. said...

"I might have to set an alarm to remind myself to go to bed." - Brilliant! I'm going to implement this in my life starting right n... starting tomorrow night!

Great response. I can relate to everything.

gnomesque said...

Haha, I haven't actually started using an alarm yet either - I don't have to start 'til 2011, right? :)