Pages

Sunday, 12 December 2010

Body Integration

This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?

The moments when I feel my mind and my body integrate are when I'm swing dancing and I just get it.

Most of the time when I'm dancing, my thought process goes "one two three-and-four, back straight, five six se-ven eight, keep arms tense, sink weight downward, oh and remember to smile, shit, now I've lost track of my footwork..."

There are rare moments, though, when everything just goes right for a few seconds. Usually this happens when I'm dancing with a more experienced lead and they do a move that I haven't actually learned yet. My mind stops trying to force my body do what it's been taught to do and just lets it respond to the signals I'm being given. For one brief moment everything is motion, mind and body simply move, together, without worrying about where they're going or how they're getting there.

When the motion stops, I grin and think "that was cool!" Then I realize that I have no idea where my feet are supposed to be right now...

2 comments:

Bob D. said...

Ha!

"My mind stops trying to force my body do what it's been taught to do and just lets it respond to the signals I'm being given. For one brief moment everything is motion, mind and body simply move, together, without worrying about where they're going or how they're getting there." - This is really the essence of what I've been trying to achieve for like, fifteen years, through various means and practices. But as soon as I think "I've got this!"...

Kim said...

Oooh! I was really hoping there'd be a picture on this post.

Performance is an exceptional way to tap into that alignment. I hadn't thought about it this way until I read this, but when I think about when I used to perform in various ways, I know just what you mean. It IS cool!