Pages

Thursday, 16 December 2010

Friendship

How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

I've been turning this prompt over in my mind all day. I've started to write and stopped again about five times. I'm just not coming up with a good answer to it. I have friends who have changed me, and my perspective, for sure, but not really this year in particular.

I could give a partial answer with the friend I talked about in my post on appreciation: that a friendship gone sour made me appreciate my healthy friendships more.

I could also give another partial answer to the friend I made volunteering at Jazz Fest (as mentioned yesterday). This was the first new friend I made in what felt like a really long time (seriously though, a year, maybe?), and it changed my perspective on social interactions and my own self-confidence.

Neither of these answers sit quite right with me, I think because they're not specific to those friends themselves. It wasn't anything special about either of those friends that changed me, simply the situations we were in.

To be honest, 2010 was the year of wrapping myself up inside myself, away from the world as much as possible. Maybe in 2011 I will emerge and let others impact me again.

3 comments:

AnnMarie said...

I really like this post, not least because it can't be all rainbows and puppies all the time. Very honest. Thanks.

Bob D. said...

As always, your honesty is refreshing. Your last paragraph also gives me the impression that you have a basic trust in life and in your own process of growing and changing. This is one of the big secrets to loving life, but you must already know that... It says so right under your picture!

Noel said...

I loved the way you described this; sometimes you just gotta hibernate! Makes me want to curl up on the couch with tea and a hot book. Turning inward provides such fertile ground for dreams. :)