Pages

Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Future Self and Travel

Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

I feel as though I've been belligerent about several of the most recent prompts, but, well, I'm not doing this one either.

Actually that's a lie. I did do this one. Then I re-read it and realized that what I wrote had nothing to do with how I imagine myself in five years, but was simply a collection of all the reassurances I would like to hear now. So I started over, and really tried to imagine myself five years from now, but I just couldn't do it. I have no idea who/what/where I want to be. I came up with absolutely nothing. So I'm going to pass on this one.

I tried to do the bonus question too, but it was equally unsuccessful. There was nothing I could tell my past self. Past self gets by pretty well and present self is content with the way things turned out. There is nothing I would ask past self to change. Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprises. I would never forgive myself. I love surprises too much.




Heyyy look at this prompt! I can and will answer it, gladly.

How did I travel this year? Mostly by foot. I walked to and from campus every day that I had class. I walked to and from work every weekday this summer. I walked to the grocery store, the drug store, and every other store I had to visit. I walked to appointments. I walked to friends' houses, restaurants, festivals, the library, the bank. On sunny summer Saturday mornings, I walked to the farmer's market, and my favourite coffee shop, and then the thrift store on the way home. Sometimes I even walked to or home from the mall, which is far enough to usually be a bus trip. My friends and I went on our annual camping trip, where we walked six kilometres into the woods with our gear. This year, I walked.

I travelled by bus occasionally, mostly in the winter semester when I had an evening class and by the time I left it was cold and dark and my desire to be at home with a mug of hot chocolate far outweighed my desire to not be on the bus.

I was in cars now and then as well, mostly on trips home, but sometimes when friends from out of town who have cars came to visit.

Also of note, I travelled by plane for the first time ever, when my parents and I went to visit my brother in May.

As for next year, I'd like to keep travelling in more or less the same ways. If I live somewhere that actually has bike storage, I'd like to have a bike. It's like walking, but faster! I would also really like to take a train trip across Canada, but that might not be in the cards for next year.

1 comment:

Bob D. said...

Wow. I can't believe you were belligerent AND told a lie -- and that was just in the first two sentences! I was afraid to read on any further, thinking you might start dropping the eff bomb or something!

Seriously though, you have to give yourself credit for pushing through all the prompts. I've gotten lazy lately and have been skipping the ones that don't inspire me.

Good to know I'm not the only one who walks everywhere. It takes me a full hour to walk from my house to my job, and people think I'm nuts to go back and forth on foot everyday. I'm also fortunate that so many coffee shops and stores and restaurants and music clubs are within walking distance of my place. I think I might actually go nuts if I had to drive everywhere.

Gotta go. Time to walk home!