Pages

Monday, 6 December 2010

Make.


Technically, the last thing I made was the garlic fingers I had for supper. If you're from somewhere stupid that doesn't have garlic fingers (No offence to wherever you're from. I'm sure it's lovely. It's just that they don't have garlic fingers, which is stupid), they look like this:

(At least, that's what they look like when I make them. Usually they're a little less, um, lumpy. My dough skills could use some work.)

and they're delicious. They're also easy to make: pizza dough + garlic butter + mozzarella, cook at 425F for 15 minutes. Our garlic butter recipe is as follows:

1 c. butter, softened
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika

Anyway, I didn't even really want to talk about garlic fingers because they're just food, and to me cooking is just a fact of life; it's not usually something I consider creative, which is how I interpreted this prompt.

So really the last thing I made was this little fella:


I imagine most people probably need me to tell you that it's Teen Wolf. I made it as a birthday present what feels like forever ago (March) for the then-boyfriend. Materials were:

miscellaneous scrap yarn in brown, orange, and black
yellow fabric
thread
crochet hook (size F)
needle
Sharpie

This is the first thing I ever crocheted, so I was kind of proud of it. Also, crocheted? Weirdest word. I have a hard time not pronouncing the "t" whenever I read it.

As for projects I want to work on: SO MANY. The main one right now is that I would really like to finish the sweater that I've been working on knitting for just shy of three years. So far I've finished the arms and about a 3rd of the back. It looks approximately like this:

I hadn't touched it in months, but I actually just picked it up over the weekend to do some work on it. I think my problem is that I always wait until I have large blocks of time free when I can do a lot of work at once. That doesn't happen frequently. According to the rough calculations I guesstimated the other night, if I work on it for just half an hour a day, I should be able to finish it in about six months. Whereas if I continue this strategy, it will probably be another three years.

I think I can make time for a half hour a day. Maybe not every single day, but a lot of days, yes. In the past month + 6 days I've made time for blogging every day, and for five days now I've made time for writing at 750words every morning. I've had to re-evaluate how I use my time and realized that my time management skills have gotten much slacker than they used to be. I also just really like knitting as a break from my academic world of ideas and books. I find that working with my hands to create something physical is a good way to get out of my head and grounded in the real world.

New goal: Complete sweater by the end of June. That gives me just under seven months. I'm gonna do it. For real.

No comments: