Pages

Friday, 3 December 2010

Moment

[Before I start today's reverb10 prompt, I want to make a quick update on yesterday. Right after I finished my post, I signed up for an account at 750words and wrote. I did it again this morning (just one day away from being a turkey!). I didn't necessarily write good words, but that's okay. I wrote. That's the important part.]

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).

My moment for this post came to mind right away. I actually wrote about it when it happened back in May, but I will re-iterate here, since it didn't exactly have vivid detail the first time around.

One day near the beginning of the summer, my roommates and I went for a walk around our local park. This is probably my favourite place in the whole city -- mostly because it's the one that feels the least like the city. It has forest, and ocean, and ponds, and it's lovely.

While we were walking the path around the perimeter of the park, we stopped to read every sign and plaque we saw along the way. At one point we ran up a little hill to look at something or other, and we ended up just standing at the top of the hill for a minute or two.

The hill looked out over the ocean, and the wind was blowing in off the water. It buffeted us, whipping past my ears and making my eyes water. Between the wind and the sun, I had to squint my eyes nearly shot. I couldn't bring myself to shut them all the way, though, and miss out on the beautiful sight of the wide open sea spreading before me. The wind, of course, carried the most fantastic smell in the world: ocean.

At that moment I felt like my heart was swelling up inside me and the wind was blowing all the bad out of me and filling me with the joys of existing near the sea. I was so alive I thought I might burst.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh that is beautiful! I can feel the wind and smell the ocean - what a lovely moment.

Brenda said...

Lovely post! I envy you the ocean--it's what I miss most now that I live in the Midwestern U.S.

kim-samsin said...

This was just gorgeous. And I love the thought that you can revisit that place any time you like since it's local. You never know when you might need the bad blown out, y'know.