Pages

Saturday, 4 December 2010

Wonder

How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

The only answer I can give to this question is: I didn't.

Wonder, for me, is really not something I cultivate so much as something that just happens. Mostly, it happens when I look at the sky.

There's that line in the Regina Spektor song "Oedipus"that goes "the sky'd be so big that it broke my soul." That's how I feel about it. I'm so blown away by the fact that we all share this great big blanket that I can't even handle it.


This effect is also multiplied by about a million when I actually get out of the city to see the stars.

3 comments:

Brooke Farmer said...

I miss the stars.

Kim said...

THIS.

For a long while I lived in the desert. Incredible star viewing.

The sentiment that wonder wasn't something to "cultivate" was pretty common today. I tried to write it out several times and just couldn't do it until I landed on the notion to use the camera. I'm hoping that I never get so jaded that I have to kickstart my own wonder to get it going again.

gnomesque said...

I noticed that sentiment a lot too - interesting trend. I wonder if that's a generally shared experience, or if something like reverb10 simply attracts people who are natural wonderers?