Pages

Saturday, 5 February 2011

Halfway

I feel, lately, as though I've been doing things by half.  I have all these projects laying around, started but never finished.  They've not been given up on, but they sure look abandoned.  I just don't have the itch to work on anything consistently lately.

In my room right now, I have:

- A mess of half-finished homework on my bed


- A half-written letter to my penpal

- A pile of books and papers on the floor, only half put away

- A half-read book and a half-filled journal

- A half-knit sweater


You'll have to take my word on these last ones, but:
- There's a paper sitting on my hard drive which is finished aside from the introduction and conclusion
- As I write this, I am halfway through formatting a set of minutes
- I am paused halfway through an episode of Doctor Who because I just hit the Megavideo limit

Until a moment ago, I also had a half-written blog post.  When I started writing this, I was frustrated by all the half-finished things around me, but I’ve mellowed out toward them since then.  Sure, I should probably actually finish some of my homework at some point, and that letter really needs to get sent off because I’m horrendously late with it, and the sweater is frustrating because it’s been half-finished for so. freaking. long. 

But that’s okay.  Because I think this is life.  Always being halfway through something is how this thing works.  If I were finished everything, that would be sad.  And impossible.  And dead.

So I’m going to go finish some half-finished projects.  But I’ll start new ones before I get them all done.  I’ve just got to try to avoid letting them pile up too much. 

2 comments:

Bob D. said...

Half-finished is pretty good. I'm about 1/5th of the way finished with about 17 things!

Kim said...

Megavideo is the devil. There, I've said it.

I've got an assortment of halves, too. I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for at a given moment, so these things happen. I have a half-finished letter, too. A few weeks ago I did a massive declutter and that letter wound up in a pile. Do you think I can find it now? Of course not.