Pages

Friday, 11 February 2011

Reverb11: February

There are only a few questiona from #reverb10 that really stuck with me. The most important one is from day 11, about things I don't need in my life.  As I’ve mentioned already, several of those have influenced my New Year’s resolutions and the things that I’m trying to change in my life this year.
The other is the second prompt, on writing. I write at 750 words every day now; I have written every day this year.  Even when I feel like I have nothing to say and even if I did I wouldn't know how to say it, I still write.
Most of the questions I've been living are new ones, and most of them have to do with how I devote my time and which decisions I choose to make and which life I choose to live. I ask myself many many times a day "is this really what I want to be doing with my time?" If the answer is no, I follow up with "Is this something I need to be doing with my time?" If the answer is still no, I stop doing it. Well... usually, anyway. I'm not perfect.
I also ask myself questions like "If I had to explain to someone what I did today in any amount of detail, how would I feel about the answer I would have to give?" If the answer is something like "embarrassed by how little I did" or "disgusted by how much junk food I ate," I do my best to salvage whatever remains of the day.
I've found myself asking, frequently, "What am I passionate about? What do I want to do with my life?" I don't have answers to these ones yet. I never seem to get any closer to answers, either, but I keep asking. I wouldn't want to get complacent and settle for something less if I didn't have to.

3 comments:

Bob D. said...

"What am I passionate about? What do I want to do with my life?" - I've been asking myself these questions for at least twenty years now!

gnomesque said...

So I'm probably not going to figure it out in the next six months, then? Somehow I expected I wouldn't...

Kim said...

I get passionate about so many things. For me, the question is "How long will it be before this goes the way of the rock tumbler I had in elementary school?" When I grow up (which, hm, I'm turning thirty-eight this summer), I hope I get the patience/stick-to-it-iveness that will keep me immersed in my passions.