Pages

Friday, 1 April 2011

My Favourite Box

This box arrived today:



This is my favourite box.  It's from my grandfather's church, and it arrives around this time each year.  Members of their congregation can submit the addresses of their children or grandchildren who are away at university, and then they send off this nice little exam-time package.

It has about the same things every year: a variety of granola bars, some hot chocolate, a few packages of microwave popcorn, one package of Mr. Noodles, some Easter candy, maybe a few other snacks, a $5 Tim Horton's gift card, some school supplies, and my favourite part: homemade chocolate chip cookies.

It's really not much; certainly nothing I couldn't easily get for myself with 15 minutes and 15 dollars.  But the thing is, I wouldn't.  I would never go to the store and buy these things; instead I would wander around the kitchen for ten minutes looking for food and end up eating a few crackers or something.  Now I have enough snack food to get me through the end-of-semester push no problem.

It's just such a nice gesture.  I don't even know anyone at my grandfather's church, and even though they do these packages for lots of people, it always makes me feel loved.  (It also doesn't hurt that packages are pretty much always exciting, especially since I always forget about it every time April rolls around, and so I'm just as surprised by it each year.)

This year there were two more surprises: as you can see, one of the hot chocolate packets is a gourmet chocolate chai, which I'm really excited about.  Also, the school supplies this year included a stapler in addition to the usual pens and pencils.  Sending out staplers seems like an odd thing to do, but I actually just happened to need one, and this particular one is a beautiful shiny green that will make me smile every time I use it.

It's a little thing, this box, but it brings a lot of joy into my life at this otherwise generally unpleasant time of year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember also liking this box around orals time in first year. I was out of the pop tarts I got from a totally awesome friend at Christmas, after all.