Pages

Sunday, 3 April 2011

An Update on that Decision Thing

I realized as I was posting the other day that I never really gave an update on the outcome of the events of one of my most recent posts.  So, here it is.

The (almost-but-maybe-not-quite) final decision on next year is this: I'm staying in Halifax.  I'm going to Dal.

The reason I applied to other schools was because the way I would like things to go, ideally, is to get away from this place now and have wonderful adventures elsewhere, and then come back in three years and spend the rest of my life in the Maritimes.  Except that at the same time three years seems like a really long time to commit to living somewhere else.  (I'm kind of a pansy about big scary life changes.  Shhhh, don't tell anyone.)

The problem with this, though, is that with law school it's generally recommended to go to school where you want to work because there are a lot of opportunities for networking and a lot of job interviews are done on campus and blah blah blah.  Apparently this is especially true for the Maritimes because a lot of Ontario kids come out here, article for a year, and then go back where they came from, which makes employers distrustful of those who didn't commit to living here for three years.

So, in order to achieve my long term goals, and to get the best of both worlds on moving away and not moving away, my plan is to stay here for school, but to plan things around doing at least one semester on exchange.  That way I get the adventure, but without all the commitment and major life upheaval.

1 comment:

Bob D. said...

Congrats! Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure it'll be a great experience.