Pages

Friday, 27 May 2011

Summer

For the past month I've been taking a rather extended break from just about all of the things I usually do.  It was nice, but I've finally gotten bored, and so I've slowly been returning to my usual activities, and today was the day it was time to return to the blog.

I've moved back home with my parents for the summer, and it's wonderful and terrible at the same time.  It's so much more peaceful at home.  I'm appreciating having a bit of a break from the city.  It's nice to be somewhere that has trees and stars and birds and many other things that I love.  At the same time, I miss my roommates, and I miss having more than two friends in the area, and I miss being in walking distance of everything.  It's also frustrating to return to life at home after being independent for the past four years.

On the bright side, I am experiencing unprecedented levels of job satisfaction.  I never dreamed that I could enjoy a summer job as much as I do this one.  It's difficult in a lot of ways because there's a lot of interaction with strangers and using the phone and pretending to be an expert on things I've heard of, all of which are things I find stressful, but it's only been three and a half weeks and I can already notice myself getting better at them.  I'm really enjoying how much freedom we have to push the job in different directions, and there have been a few times this week that I've been gratified to feel as though I've actually, really, helped people, and I love that.  A lot of contentment about this job.  Some days it just seems ridiculous that they actually pay us to do this.

I graduated last week, which is just a strange thing to have done.  It's funny; I keep expecting to feel like things have changed and that all of a sudden I'm going to turn into a real grown-up just because I have a university degree and that section of my life is over, but of course nothing's changed.  Or rather, things have changed, but not all at once.  Things have changed and things are continuing to change but I probably won't realize how much until September when I move on to the next part of my life.  In some ways it feels as though I've put everything on pause for this summer, and that when I go back to Halifax in the fall I'll find that everyone else has just been frozen in time for four months and I'll just slip easily back into my old routine and my old place in the world and everything will go on as it always has.

I think I need to find ways to "un-pause" and make it feel as though time is actually passing.  That will be something to work on.

No comments: